Shooting at a target and then pinning it down by hitting exactly at the aiming point gives an unavoidable thrill. Such an experience never fails to amaze a shooter. But acquiring that level of shooting accuracy doesn’t come overnight. Usually to be a great target shooter, along with great skills one needs great optics as well. In a close-range distance, Red Dot reticles are unmatched. But choosing the right one for you depends on various things.
The kinds of firearms & your regular shooting range are two of those factors that decide whether you should use a 2 MOA Red Dot or a 4 MOA Red Dot. As both of these red dots have different dot size, covering target areas at a certain distance, suitable guns etc. are very vital things too.
Therefore, while discussing their difference we have tried presenting you with an articulated 2 MOA Vs 4 MOA Red Dots review article.
What is 2 MOA Red Dot Meaning?
Let’s imagine a shooter has pointed his gun at a target 100 yards away from him. He is also using a red dot reticle that is mounted on his gun to have a better view at the aiming point. Now he will see a red dot placed upon the target and he would try to shoot in such a way so that the bullet hit it on that particular spot. That red coloured dot is measured by the parameter called Minutes Of Angle (MOA).
If the Red Dot he is using is a 2 MOA then that means, the red coloured dot placed upon the target which is at 100 yards of distance has a diameter of 2 inches. This angular measurement of the circle is called 2 MOA Red Dot.
What is a 4 MOA Red Dot?
MOA ( Minutes Of Angle) refers to the angular measurement of the red coloured dot that is projected on a target once it is aimed & seen through a red dot reticle. 4 MOA means the circular target area is 4 inches in diameter when the target is placed at 100 yards of distance. Basically, a 4 MOA Red Dot reticle is used for both close & long-range target shooting.
2 MOA Vs 4 MOA
There are significant differences between a 2 MOA Red Dot & a 4 MOA Red Dot. We have tried here to mention some noteworthy differences between them by plotting a table.
|Dot Size at 100 yards||2 inches||4 inches|
|Dot Size at 50 yards||1 inch||2 inches|
|Dot Size at 200 yards||4 inches||8 inches|
|Best Use||Short Range||Both Close & Long Range|
|Perfect For||Shotguns & Handguns||Long guns & Rifles|
Aimpoint 2 MOA Vs 4 MOA
The difference between a 2 MOA & 4 MOA Red Dot is quite vivid when the target distance and firearms on which they are being mounted becomes a factor. Some distinguishing factors are stated below-
- A 2 MOA Red Dot covers a target area of 2 inches on a target at 100 yards distance whereas a 4 MOA covers 4 inches target area.
- 2 Moa Red Dot are usually used for short-range target shooting, on the other hand 4 MOA Red Dot are used for both close & long-range shooting.
- When it comes to perfect use, shotguns & handguns perform better with a 2 MOA Red Dot Reticle but 4 MOA Red Dot Reticles are suitable for rifles & long guns.
- Red Dot Reticles are normally available with no magnifier. So when used in a magnifying optic, the target area gets enlarged depending on the magnification power. For 2x magnification, the covering area becomes 4 inches for 2 MOA & 8 inches for 4 MOA at a target distance of 100 yards.
- If it is about acquiring more precision level then most of the shooters think a smaller red dot size like 2 MOA is more likely to provide better accuracy. But that doesn’t mean 4 MOA comes shorter at accurate shooting. But for close range shooting smaller red dots are comparatively more efficient.
The Aimpoint is a tactical optics manufacturer which is quite famous for providing reflex collimator sights that are of very high-quality. Aimpoint Pro Red Dot Reflex Sight is one of those most popular models. It comes with an excellent ergonomic design & optical clarity that makes fast focusing an easy task even for beginners.
It is constructed out of hard-anodized aluminium having a sophisticated matte black finish. With a 30 mm wide central tube & 38 mm lens this red dot sight provides quite vivid & bright viewing of the target. Its anti-reflective glass coating helps with remarkable colour-differentiation & light-transmission.
Besides, the 2 MOA red dot is available with the right intensity of colours to be easily spotted even at light intensities of up to 55000 1x. The lens provides unlimited eye relief & doesn’t offer any magnification which makes it a parallax-free optic.
Another attention-drawing element of design in an Aimpoint Pro is its QRP2 mount with a removable spacer. The mount offers a quick adjustment for the users and it can be lowered to match the eye-level at a comfortable optimal height. Moreover, this red dot sight is completely weatherproof & submersible under 150ft from the water surface without receiving any damage.
This excellent red dot reflex sight has a runtime of up to 30,000 hours which eliminates the worry of power duration. A 3V battery (DL 1/3N) is available with this optic & it is guaranteed to run for 3 years constantly on a brightness setting of 7/10.
- The Aimpoint Red Dot Reflex Sight is designed to perform under adverse condition. Can function without any trouble even when submerged under 150ft of water.
- Features a multi-coated anti-reflective lens that provides great optical clarity. Both the front and rear flip-up lens covers are available with it too. It offers fast target acquisition as well.
- This Red Dot has a parallax-free design while having a magnification power of 1x. It also provides unlimited eye relief.
- It is ruggedly built and made of hard-anodized Aluminium with a matte black polished finish over the surface.
- It is a 2 MOA dot having 6 daylight & 4 night-vision compatible brightness settings. One extra level is also included for performing in bright sunlight. Besides, it is compatible with all generations of NVD.
- Features a 30 mm central tube that is quite wider and covers a large area of the target. The objective lens has a diameter of 38 mm providing a bright & clear view.
- It has a 3V Lithium battery of DL1 / 3N type with a lifetime of 30,000 hours. Can run continuously on-battery for 3 years at a brightness setting of 7/10.
- The Aimpoint Pro comes with a QPR2 mount and a removable spacer for optical height adjustment.
- Magnification: 1x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 38 nm
- Central Tube Size: 30 mm
- Dot Size: 2 MOA
- Dot Intensity: Visible even with a background luminance of 0.1 to 55,000 1x.
- Dot Colour: Peak Wavelength at 655 +/- 15 nm.
- Clear Aperture: 23 mm (0.9 inches)
- Battery type: 3V Lithium Battery ( DL 1/ 3N)
- Battery Lifetime: 30,000 hrs at a stretch (with brightness sett. 7/10)
- Power Intensity: 6 Daylight & 4 NVD (1 extra brightness level)
- Dimension (Sight): 4.8 x 19 x 1.9 inches (L x W x H)
- Dimension (configuration): 5.4 x 2.8 x 3.2 inches (L x W x H)
- Weight ( Sight & Configuration): 6.8 Oz & 12.7 Oz
- Offers quick target acquisition
- Ruggedly built
- Flip-up lens covers are available for both front & rear end
- Anti-reflective lens coatings
- Parallax free design
- Weatherproof & 100% waterproof
- The field of view is narrow
If you are a passionate shooter then you might know acquiring a precise shooting ability with quick target acquisition is no child’s play. Besides, owning an optic that would provide such lightning speed can cost quite a lot. Fortunately, the Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen II comes with a solution to this for shooters like you.
The Crossfire Red Dot Sight is not a mediocre sight for any short-range shooting. Rather when your rifle or shotgun would need a simple aiming point, then it should be at the top of your optic list. This red dot is not only a budget-friendly optic but also available with a rugged structure & ergonomic design.
Its unlimited eye relief and wide field of view (FOA) makes the scope a stress-free gadget for the eyes & it turns out to be more manageable optic in the shooting. Then there is the anti-reflective & multi-coated lens that increases the light transmission to ease the focusing. It also provides 11 brightness levels for changing the dot intensity.
This 2 MOA Red Dot offers 1x magnification power & a 22 mm objective lens. It has user friendly menu buttons for the windage & elevation adjustments. With the inclusion of a battery having a lifetime of 50,000 hours at its lowest illumination level, the Crossfire II Red Dot also provides night vision compatibility.
Moreover, it is a highly durable optic that has got a hard-anodized finish with a low-glare surface. Due to such build-quality and designing it happens to be a great optic for camouflage position too. This is also a weatherproof scope. Its O ring sealed design makes the red dot a waterproof one. It can be mounted on any surface using both the high & low mounts.
- It is a super-sight optic with fast target acquisition ability. Comes with an ergonomic & parallax-free design.
- The Vortex Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen II provides a completely weatherproof performance. Its O ring sealed design prevents the optic from moisture, dust & debris.
- This red dot runs by a CR2032 battery that has a lifetime of 50,000 hours while functioning with the lowest illumination setting.
- There are easily operable menu buttons available for windage and elevation adjustments. Besides, it features capped turrets too.
- Its rugged build-quality enhances the durability of the optic. Hard-anodized finish & low-glare matte surface makes it easy to use the scope from a camouflage position.
- Provides great optical clarity as the lens is anti-reflective & multi-coated. It offers 11 levels of brightness settings for comfortable shooting even in shiny daylight.
- The 2 MOA Red Dot features unlimited eye relief & a Wide Field Of View. (FOA). Ensures the eyes may not get stressed while aiming and shooting rapidly.
- Comes with a magnification power of 1x & 22 mm objective lens. It is also a night vision compatible (lowest 2 settings) red dot sight that is able to perform in all conditions.
- A skeletonized lower 1/3 co-witness mount is included with the red dot & it provides a solid and quite lightweight platform.
- Magnification: 1x
- Material: Aluminium
- Design: Ergonomic & Parallax-free
- Style: Gen II
- Objective Lens Diameter: 22 mm
- Dot Size: 2 MOA
- Eye Relief: Unlimited
- Max Windage/Elevation Adjustments: 100 MOA
- Battery: CR 2032
- Battery Lifetime: 50,000 hours (on lowest brightness settings)
- Night Vision Compatibility: Yes (Lowest 2 settings)
- Dimension (L x W x H): 4.7 x 5.65 x 2.7 inches
- Weight: 0.68 pounds
- Allows quick target acquisition
- Provides crystal clear target view
- Offers unlimited eye relief
- Features 11 illumination settings
- Budget friendly & highly durable
- Brightness knob is a bit tight & hard to move
A shooter who usually operates in tough conditions would always look for an optic that he can rely on. Along with an extreme endurance level it has to be a high-quality scope too. The Vortex Optics SPARC Red Dot Sight Gen I comes with both of these qualities in it. The rugged build-quality ensures its durability & enduring ability in all conditions. Besides, numerous great optical features confirm a reliable performance too.
Both for the short-range and extended range it acts with utmost precision level. It also features a 2 MOA red dot that is fast enough to spot and pin down the target regardless of the lighting conditions. The dot then gets back to the last intensity level used when it is powered up. It is quite compatible with all shotguns & rifles because of its lightweight body frame.
It is available with a magnification power of 1x and the objective lens diameter is 22 mm. The fully multi-coated and anti-reflective lens coating helps with bright and clear image quality. It offers a wide Field Of View (FOA) including unlimited eye relief. Because of its parallax-free design quickens the target acquisition ability. The rear-facing controls also provide quick access for the shooter and the targets are vividly viewable from the aiming position.
The SPARC red dot sight operates with a AAA Lithium battery offering power for 300 hours at maximum brightness level. After 12 hours of continuous runtime, the scope automatically shuts off the battery to avoid any accidental rundown of the battery. Moreover, this 2 MOA red dot is waterproof, fog proof due to the purged nitrogen gas & O ring sealed design. Its hard-anodized & Aluminium body of aircraft-grade quality ensures the shockproof performance of the scope too.
- It is a ruggedly built optic & can perform under adverse conditions without causing any trouble at all. Its aircraft-grade & hard-anodized Aluminium body structures make it a shockproof scope.
- Purged Nitrogen gas and O ring sealed design prevent all sorts of internal fogging and moisture to penetrate the scope body.
- It is a compact & lightweight optic that is compatible with more or less all kinds of shotguns & rifles.
- The Vortex Optics SPARC Red DoT Sight comes with a CR123A battery (AAA Lithium). The scope runs for 300 hours at a stretch in maximum brightness settings.
- Because of preventing the possibility of an unwanted battery rundown, after 12 hours an automatic shut off option gets enabled.
- This 2 MOA red dot sight comes with 1x magnification power and 22 mm objective lens.
- Because of its parallax-free design, wide FOA (Field Of View) & an unlimited eye relief, the scope offers a fast target acquisition for the shooters.
- Fully multi-coated lens with anti-reflective coatings over the surface offers excellent optical clarity & increased light transmission.
- It also allows the shooter to adjust elevation and windage dials with audible clicks. Maximum windage & elevation adjustment is 90 MOA.
- The Vortex SPARC red dot can be mounted at two heights. Moreover, its Multi-Height Mount System includes a spacer shim. The spacer shim can be utilized for providing two different mounting heights (lower 1/3 co-witness & absolute co-witness).
- Magnification: 1x
- Material: Aircraft-grade Aluminium
- Style: Gen I
- Design: Parallax Free
- Objective Lens Diameter: 22 mm
- Dot Size: 2 MOA
- Eye Relief: Unlimited
- Windage & Elevation Adjustments: 90 MOA
- Battery: CR123A battery ( AAA Lithium)
- Battery Runtime: 300 hours (at maximum brightness level)
- Auto Shut-Off Time Limit: 12 hours
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 5.9 x 4.6 x 3 inches
- Weight: 0.85 Pounds
- Provides pinpoint accuracy
- Rugged build-quality
- NV compatible
- Parallax-free design
- Waterproof, fog proof, shockproof
- A bit blurry red dot appears with increased brightness.
What is a 2 MOA Red Dot Reticle?
Red Dot reticles are available with so many different variations of MOA (Minutes Of Angle). A 2 MOA reticle is one of those options. Suppose, you are aiming at a target at 100 yards of distance with your gun that has a 2 MOA Red Dot reticle on it. That means you’d see a red dot covering a target area of 2 inches on your target. The 2 inches red circular target area on your target that is located 100 yards away is known as 2 MOA red dot reticle.
Is 2 MOA Better Than 4 MOA?
It entirely depends on their usage and the gun you are mounting it on. Basically, the distinguishing factor establishes quite vividly when shooting at ranges come to the play. If you are using handguns or shotguns and shooting at short-range distances, then using a 2 MOA optic would be a better choice compared to 4 MOA. But if you own a long gun or rifle & aim at long distance then 4 MOA will be a better pick in such cases.
Red Dot Sizes- Why They Differ?
The Red Dot comes with having different MOA spending on the usage and their necessity in target shooting. A smaller Red Dot covers a small target area whereas a larger Red Dot naturally covers a larger area. Red Dot of 1 MOA will cover about 1 inch of target area at a distance of 100 yards. In a 2 MOA Red Dot, a dot size of 2 inch will appear on the target upon aiming on it. For 3 MOA & 4 MOA and so on, it follows the same rule. But it depends on the target distance too.
Minutes Of Angle
Minutes Of Angle is actually referred to an angular measurement of a red dot circle or other optical reticles. As a bullet being a projectile & the trajectory of it is not 100% right always, the Minutes Of Angle is kind of an expression of the hitting area by a bullet.
A Minutes Of Angle means 1/6th of one degree out of infinity that is relative to a fixed point. In other words, 1 MOA equals a dot size of roughly one inch (1.047) diameter at a distance of 100 yards.
Red Dot Priorities Straight: Speed vs. Precision
It is no rocket science to understand that speed and precision both are utterly hard to attain simultaneously in shooting. If you look for speed your precision level will drop, on the other hand if you take a shot to hit the bullseye your speed may drop too. Therefore having a perfect optic along with a suitable gun is so important when it comes to speed & accuracy in shooting business.
An optic helping with fast target acquisition is a very cherished thing to professional shooters. For close range shooting, a high level of accuracy can be maintained by using Red Dot reticles. Even though Red Dot reticles have no magnifier but they come with variations like 2 MOA, 3 MOA, 4 MOA etc.
For using a Red Dot reticle you have to decide your purpose first. If you seek for speed then in close range target shooting there is no equivalent to a red dot reticle. But it also depends on the distance you are shooting at. On the other hand, maintaining a high level of precision requires skilled shooters too along with perfect red dot optic.
The more your target distance will increase, the more you will lose the precision level. Therefore, for attaining sharp accuracy at 100 yards of distance, a 2 MOA Red Dot will provide the best service. But going much beyond that will require greater magnification and proper scope too. Although a 4 MOA Red Dot is no less than a great optic for shooting accurately at close & long range either.
Red Dot Reticles
It is a holographic projection of a dot to a fixed point in the focal plane of the lens. It is usually red in colour but sometimes can be found in green too. The size of the red dot is measured in Minutes Of Angle (MOA). Moreover, it has been proven that the red dot happens to be the quickest sort of aiming reticle. It also gives the best target hitting probability with a high level of accuracy even for moving ones.
3 MOA Red Dot
An MOA ( Minutes Of Angle) number is a parameter that is usually listed on a red dot sight. It refers to the size of a dot that will appear on a target placed at 100 yards of distance. As we know that 1 MOA means, 1 inch dot size at 100 yards distance, the same way a red dot of 3 MOA means there will be a 3 inches sized dot appearing on the target at a distance of 100 yards.
Aimpoint 4 MOA
Aimpoint is a Swedish optics company, globally famous for manufacturing red dot sights for the use of civilians, police and people in the army. It comes with numerous newly manufactured & featured popular scope models. For military operations & combat the Aimpoint Pro & other models are used by several countries.
The Aimpoint 4 MOA is actually referring to the dot size of the scope that falls upon the target. In an Aimpoint optic when the Minutes Of Angle is 4 MOA, then it means a 4” sized dot will appear on the aimed target at a distance of 100 yards.
1 MOA Red Dot
The dot which appears in a red dot optics while sighting is measured in MOA that stands for “Minutes Of Angle”. It is a unit to measure the angle of a circle. A smaller red dot naturally covers less area of the target whereas a larger one covers a bigger area.
However, for fast-moving targets, a larger red dot is proved to be quite advantageous for moving targets. Actually, 1 MOA means 1/60th of 1 degree angle.
What is better 2 MOA or 4 MOA?
When it comes to shooting at long distances, the difference between a 2 MOA and a 4 MOA model would be quite significant. The 2 MOA dot will cover a comparatively smaller area. At a long distance like more than 300 yards, the 4 MOA dot will cover almost a foot whereas the 2 MOA would cover an area that would be smaller than your fist.
What is the best MOA for red dot?
Usually a smaller red dot would cover less target area compared to a larger one. On the contrary, a larger red dot would be a greater advantage in the case of a moving target.
Is 3 MOA or 6 MOA better?
A 3 MOA happens to be more efficient and precise for shotguns and pistols. On the other hand, 6 MOA is suitable for rifles & long guns. As a 6 MOA provides bigger dot size, it is seemed to be perfect for long-range and fast-moving targets too. Therefore, it is easier for a shooter to pin down a target with precision.
Is a lower MOA better?
Yes, it is. The ratings of a lower MOA are more accurate than they are at long ranges. At 100 yards of distance a scope with 3 MOA will shoot 6
What does 2 MOA dot mean?
A 2 MOA dot means it will produce a dot with 2 inches of covering size on a target at 100 yards of distance.
What MOA is best for a pistol?
For the ultimate level of precision for hunting or target shooting with a pistol, a 4MOA dot or less is a good idea.
What red dot sight does the military use?
For military missions & combat the army uses Aimpoint Red Dot Sight.
What distance do you zero a red dot?
50 yards is the proper if not the best distance to set your zero for a fixed elevation rear sight or a red dot.
Which is a better reflex or red dot?
Basically, a red dot happens to be easier and faster for target acquisition than most traditional sights. Although it is not as fast as the exposed reflex sight. Besides, Reflex sights are less expensive than red dot sights too.
What distance are red dot sights good for?
As red dots are non-magnifying optics, they are best for using at 100 yards of distance. Beyond 100 yards, the accuracy depends on the target size and design of the scope.
While target shooting precision always becomes a vital factor. If you are a hunter or a professional shooter then the importance of an efficient optic is quite a lot. Having a shot & hitting the aiming point is a great experience anyway.
A red dot reticle makes it easier even more. Hence, purchasing the Red Dot reticle for your firearm matters so much. Hope our article will help you to have a clear idea and to take the right one according to your need.